I recently got the opportunity to get to know eNews anchor Duduzile Ramela.
“Soweto-born Dudu graduated from the University of Johannesburg where she obtained her BA degree in Journalism. With over 9 years of experience in the industry, she first worked as a newsreader at the SABC’s Radio 2000, then moved to SAFM and also worked alongside Thomas Msengana on 5FM’s Weekend Breakfast Show.”
Here is what she had to say:
- Nickname you grew up with?
– Mampinga (I think it was from the 90’s TV show Nyakanyaka).
- What did you want to become when you were on Primary school?
– Brenda Fassie.
- Were there any stumbling blocks along the way in your pursuit of becoming a journalist?
– Plenty, I think it’s the general rule of life. Obstacles will come your way to test and see just how much you want what you want.
One that sticks out for me is when I entered the working world, my first job was not on the field or even in a news room. I had a Journalism degree but I was driver (production assistant) for a particular agency and part of the job was dropping off tapes at major media houses. eTV was one of them…and the rest as they say is history. This taught me never to despise humble beginnings.
- Who is your role model and why?
– My mother. She is the very definition of love, strength, courage and wisdom. I can only pray that I become half the woman she is.
- What goes through your mind when you wake up in the morning?
– I pray, I ask God for extra measure of grace.
- Whilst shadowing @enca I witnessed funny things happening behind the scenes with the anchors.
– Funniest moment for you?
– (Laughs), plenty of these. I was on air and had packs hooked on my back, the one was not latched properly on to my bra and it rolled down my dress. It was a juggling act between keeping a straight face, reading and catching the falling pieces. (One of the things I love about my job, you can never take yourself seriously because it’s not about you)
- You’re so calm when on air, even when you make mistakes. How do you manage to keep it together?
– If I said I knew I’d be lying. There is no switch I flick…
- A day in the life of Dudu Ramela?
– I wish I knew…
- Advice for someone who wishes to achieve what you have?
– Pray about it!!!! Know why you want to do what you want to do, take it seriously and work on perfecting the craft. Most importantly, while it is good to receive council be careful whose report you believe.
- Have you set any goals you wish to accomplish in the near or distant future?
– I have.
Bonus question – For interest sake: Nothing compares to the way you pull your face when you read the news sometimes. Is that your natural look?
– *Laughs out loud* I’m not even aware. Perhaps I’m possessed by the holy ghost 😉
Catch Duduzile on @enca at 1pm weekdays and @eNewsDirect at 6:30pm. You can also follow her on Twitter: @duduramela